- 1 pack Mariposa Ranch Restaurant Cut Short Ribs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion about 1 medium
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup good quality red wine
- 2 cups good quality beef stock homemade or store bought (can substitute chicken broth)
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 12 oz mushrooms, cleaned and quartered (optional)
- fresh fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped (optional)
- Take the beef short ribs out of the refrigerator and let come to room temperature before cooking (about 1/2-1 hour).
- Preheat the oven to 325F/162C degrees.
- Heat a large dutch oven over high heat. Add tablespoon of olive oil and sear short ribs on all sides until brown, adding additional olive oil as needed. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to the pan and sauté until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add wine and cook until reduced by half. Add beef stock, tomato paste, and thyme. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Return short ribs to pan, cover, and place in the preheated oven. Braise for 2 1/2-3 hours, or until beef is fork tender.
- If using mushrooms, add them to the pot with the short ribs for the last 30-45 minutes of cooking time.
- Place cooked ribs on a serving dish. Skim excess fat off top of the cooking liquid and reduce over high heat to thicken into a sauce, if necessary. Spoon sauce over short ribs and sprinkle with chopped parsley.