Ingredients for Marinade
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- Juice from half lime
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Make the marinade: In a dish large enough for the flank steak to lay flat combine vinegar, lime juice, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, honey, smoked paprika, chili powder, salt, thyme, cumin, ground pepper, and red pepper flakes. Just use a fork or whatever you have lying around to mix it all together.
- Coat the steak: Once the marinade is mixed together, toss the steak in the marinade and turn a few times to make sure the surface area is coated. Cover and place it in the fridge for at least 2 hours and as long as 8 hours.
- Preheat the grill: Prepare a charcoal grill for two-zone grilling, so half is hot and the other half is warm. The grill is hot when you can only hold your hand over the hot zone for a second or two.
- On a gas grill, heat the grill to 450°F with two burners going, which should only take about 10 minutes, then turn one of the burners down to medium to create two cooking zones.
- Grill the steak: Remove the steak from the marinade. Discard the marinade. Put the thickest part of the steak over the hottest side of the grill, and the thinner side over the warm zone. Close the lid and sear for 7 minutes. Open the lid, flip the steak, close the lid. Cook for an additional 6 to 7 minutes. Meat should be medium to medium-rare.
- Rest and slice: Let the steak rest for about 5-10 minutes. Then cut into thin slices (less than ½ inch thick), at a diagonal angle across the grain. Arrange on a platter and serve.