Serving size: 4
Total time: 1 hr 10 mins
- 4 Mariposa Ranch Coulotte Steaks
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- ¼ c pecan
- ¼ c almond
- 1 dried ancho chili
- 1 dried chipotle chili
- 6 tomatillo husk removed and rinsed
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 6 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- In a food processor, combine kosher salt, cinnamon, cumin, garlic powder, cocoa powder, both chilies and nuts.
- Pulse until chilies and nuts are finely chopped.
- Rub both sides of coulotte roast with the spice rub.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- Place coulotte on sheet pan and roast in 200℉ oven until internal temperature is 115℉.
- Remove from oven and sear in hot pan on all sides, 1½ minutes per side. Let rest for at least 8 minutes, then slice thinly against the grain.
- Toss tomatillos, garlic, and whole peppers in avocado oil.
- Place on sheet pan and roast in a 400°F oven for 15 minutes or until tomatillos and peppers are browned from roasting.
- Remove from the oven and place items in a mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Remove the skin of the tomatillos and peppers, and the seeds from the peppers. If you prefer a spicy salsa keep some or all of the seeds.
- Place tomatillos, peppers (seeds also for added heat), garlic and the liquid from the mixing bowl in a food processor.
- Add lime juice and puree.
- Serve over the coulotte and enjoy!